If you need help finding an article, keep in mind that the reference librarians at Hastings are available to help plan your research strategy and to help you find useful resources for assignments and papers. Feel free to ask questions at the Reference Desk during the hours it is staffed or contact us via chat, email, or telephone. For more in-depth assistance, use the online form to schedule an individual appointment with one of the librarians.
Indexes are the best way to begin your search because you are searching just subjects, titles and authors. For broad topic research-- this will lead you to the essetial law review articles on a topic.
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books (covers mostly US law reviews and other publications)
- LegalTrac (covers law reviews, bar journals and legal newspapers)
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (HeinOnline) (covers law reviews not published in US)
Full Text Databases
- Westlaw Full-Text Law Reviews : Search the full text of all Westlaw's journals, law reviews and newsletters.
- HeinOnline : HeinOnline offers full-text PDFs of law reviews and legal periodicals. Click on "Law Journal Library" to browse by title. Use the Search tab at the top to search the collection.
- Google Scholar is an important free research tool that allows you to search a broad range of article databases (including Heinonline, Jstor and SSRN) and online scholarship repositories with one search. Results are ranked by the number of citations to an article.
- SSRN Legal Scholarship Network hosts working papers and articles in final and pre-publication form.
APA PsycNet: - Includes PsycARTICLES (full text articles from over 50 top psychology journals), PsycBOOKS (scholarly books on psychology-related topics) and PsycINFO (index of nearly 2000 psychology titles).
Google Scholar : Try searching Google Scholar. (You may then need to locate the full-text using Lexis or Westlaw or one of the library's subscription databases.)
San Francisco Public Library Articles & Databases: - San Francisco Public Library cardholders may remotely access SFPL's online periodical databases, including JSTOR (full-text academic journals going back to 1838). Click on the "Periodical Finder" link at the top of the page to search for a specific journal.
Inter-Library Loan --- Articles
If you are unable to find the article using UC Hastings and SFPL resources, you can search for an article using FirstSearch. Search the ArticleFirst and/or ECO databases, and then click on the ILL icon at the top of the page to request the article.
Inter Library Loan
For a wider selection of available books, search to see if other libraries have books you can borrow through inter-library loan. If the book you want is not in the Hastings Library, or you would like to locate other books on your topic, use FirstSearch, a database containing information about books from most of the libraries in the English-speaking world. Search the WorldCat database to find book; click on the ILL icon at the top of the page to request the book.