John D. Leshy
- Federal Public Land and Resources Law (Foundation Press 7th ed. 2014) (with George C. Coggins, Charles F. Wilkinson, & Robert L. Fischman). AMAZON
- The Arizona State Constitution (Oxford University Press 2d ed. 2013) from Oxford Commentaries on the State Constitutions of the US.
- Legal Control of Water Resources: Cases and Materials (West 5th ed. 2012) (with Barton H. Thompson & Robert H. Abrams). AMAZON
- The Mining Law: A Study in Perpetual Motion (Resources for the Future 1987).
- Legal Wilderness: Its Past and Some Speculations on its Future, 44 Envtl. L. 549 (2014). CATALOG
- Reflections on Social Change and Law Reform, 84 U. Colo. L. Rev. 217 (2013). LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Federal Lands in the Twenty-First Century, 50 Nat. Resources J. 111 (2010). LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Notes on a Progressive National Water Policy, 3 Harv. L. & Pol'y Rev. 133 (2009). LX HEIN WL SSRN URL
- In Praise of Joe Sax, 14 Hastings W.–Nw. J. Envtl. L. & Pol'y 13 (2008). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL
- Interstate Groundwater Resources: The Federal Role, 14 Hastings W.–Nw. J. Envtl. L. & Pol'y 1475 (2008). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Where's the Beef? Facilitating Voluntary Retirements of Federal Lands from Livestock Grazing, 17 N.Y.U. Envtl. L.J. 368 (2008) (with Molly S. McUsic). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- A Conversation About Takings and Water Rights, 83 Tex. L. Rev. 1985 (2005). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Contemporary Politics of Wilderness Preservation, 25 J. Land Resources & Envtl. L. 1 (2005). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- A Property Clause for the Twenty-First Century, 75 U. Colo. L. Rev. 1101 (2004). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Natural Resources Policy in the Bush (II) Administration: An Outsider's Somewhat Jaundiced Assessment, 14 Duke Envtl. L. & Pol'y F. 347 (2004). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- The Federal Role in Managing the Nation's Groundwater, 11 Hastings W.–Nw. J. Envtl. L. & Pol'y 1 (2004) (reprinted in 14 Hastings W.-N.W. J. Envtl. L. & Pol'y 1323 (2008)). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Mining Law Reform Redux, Once More, 42 Nat. Resources J. 461 (2002). FULLTEXT HEIN WL SSRN
- Shaping the Modern West: The Role of the Executive Branch, 72 U. Colo. L. Rev. 287 (2001). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- The Babbitt Legacy at the Department of the Interior: A Preliminary View, 31 Envtl. L. 199 (2001). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Water Rights for New Federal Land Conservation Programs: A Turn-of-the-Century Evaluation, 4 U. Denv. Water L. Rev. 271 (2001). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Public Lands at the Millennium, 46 Rocky Mtn. Min. L. Inst. 1 (2000).
- Challenges to Environmental Law, 25 Envtl. L. 967 (1995). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Natural Resources Policy in the Clinton Administration: A Mid-Course Evaluation from Inside, 25 Envtl. L. 679 (1995). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL
- Whither the Public Lands, 41 Rocky Mtn. Min. L. Inst. 3-1 (1995) (with Jerome C. Muys).
- The Prior Appropriation Doctrine of Water Law in the West: An Emperor with Few Clothes, 29 J. West 5 (1990).
- The State of Constitutional Law in the States of the United States: Are There Any Lessons for Australia?, 20 U. W. Austl. L. Rev. 373 (1990). HEIN SSRN
- Arizona Law Where Ground and Surface Water Meet, 20 Ariz. St. L.J. 657 (1988) (with James Belanger). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- Reforming the Mining Law: Problems And Prospects, 9 Pub. Land L. Rev. 1 (1988). FULLTEXT HEIN WL SSRN
- The Making of the Arizona Constitution, 20 Ariz. St. L.J. 1 (1988). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- Water and Wilderness/Law and Politics, 23 Land & Water L. Rev. 389 (1988). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- Granite Rock and the States' Influence Over Federal Land Use, 18 Envtl. L. 99 (1987). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Indigenous Peoples, Land Claims and Control of Mineral Development: Australian and U.S. Legal Systems Compared, 8 U. New S. Wales L.J. 271 (1985). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- Irrigation Districts in a Changing WestAn Overview, 1982 Ariz. St. L.J. 345 (1982). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- Wilderness and its DiscontentsWilderness Review Comes to the Public Lands, 1981 Ariz. St. L.J. 361 (1981). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- Unraveling the Sagebrush Rebellion: Law, Politics and Federal Lands, 14 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 317 (1980). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- Management of Federal Coal Reserves, 24 Rocky Mtn. Min. L. Inst. 139 (1978) (with Leo M. Krulitz).
- Interlocutory Injunctive Relief in Environmental Cases: A Primer for the Practitioner, 6 Ecology L.Q. 639 (1977). FULLTEXT HEIN SSRN
- The Federal Judiciary and National Forest Management, 75 J. Forestry 195 (Apr. 1977).
- Non-NEPA Legal Aspects of Federal Coal Leasing and Development Policy: An Environmental Attorney's Analysis, 9 Nat. Resources Law. 495 (1976). FULLTEXT HEIN
- A Black Mark: Failure of the Federal Coal Leasing Policy, 17 Env't 6 (Dec. 1975) (with Terry R. Lash). CATALOG
- Computers and Federal Regulation, 21 Admin. L. Rev. 287 (1969) (with Calvin Davison & Stephen L. Babcock). FULLTEXT HEIN
Chapters In Books
- Litigation Versus Settlement in Non-Indian Federal Reserved Rights, in The Future of Indian and Federal Reserved Water Rights: The Winters Centennial 270 (Barbara Cosens & Judith V. Royster eds. 2012). CATALOG
- The Future of Winters, in The Future of Indian and Federal Reserved Water Rights: The Winters Centennial 307 (Barbara Cosens & Judith V. Royster eds. 2012). CATALOG
- Preface to the First Edition, in Endangered Species Act: Law, Policy, and Perspectives xv (Donald C. Baur & Wm. Robert Irvin eds., American Bar Ass'n 2010). CATALOG
- The Future of Mineral Development on Federal Lands, in The Evolution of Natural Resources Law and Policy 346 (Lawrence J. MacDonnell & Sarah F. Bates eds., American Bar Ass'n 2010). CATALOG
- Department of the Interior: Natural Resources Serving Society, in Change for America: A Progressive Blueprint for the 44th President 388 (Mark Green and Michele Jon eds., 2009). CATALOG
- FDR's Expansion of Our National Patrimony: A Model for Leadership, in FDR and the Environment 177 (Henry Henderson & David Woolner eds., Palgrave Macmillan 2005).
- Putting the Antiquities Act in Perspective, in Visions of the Grand Staircase–Escalante: Examining Utah's Newest National Monument 83 (Robert B. Keiter, Sarah B. George, & Joro Walker eds., Utah Museum of Natural Hist. 1998).
- The Arizona Constitution, in Arizona Legal Research Guide 1 (Kathy Shimpock–Vieweg & Marianne Sidorski Alcorn eds., W.S. Hein 1992). CATALOG
- Natural Resources Policy, in Natural Resources and the Environment: The Reagan Approach 13 (Paul R. Portney ed., Urban Inst. Press 1984). CATALOG
- Sharing Federal Multiple–Use Lands — Historic Lessons and Speculations for the Future, in Rethinking the Federal Lands 235 (Sterling Brubaker ed., Resources for the Future 1984). CATALOG
- Special Water Districts—The Historical Background, in Special Water Districts: Challenge for the Future 11 (James N. Corbridge ed., Natural Res. Law Ctr., Univ. of Colo. Sch. of Law 1983).
- Book Review, 23 Ariz. St. L.J. 1163 (1991) (reviewing John S. Goff ed., The Records of the Arizona Constitutional Convention of 1910 (1991)). HEIN WL
- Book Review, Wash. Monthly (Nov. 1986) (reviewing Mark Reisner, Cadillac Desert: The American West and its Disappearing Water (1986)).
- Book Review, 27 Jurimetrics J. 77 (1986) (reviewing Howard Ball, Justice Downwind (1986)). HEIN
- Book Review, Amicus J. (Summer 1985) (reviewing Frank Welsh, How To Create a Water Crisis (1985)).
- Book Review, New Times Phoenix (Feb. 1982) (reviewing Philip L. Fradkin, A River No More: The Colorado River and the West (1981)).
Newspaper & Magazine Articles
- Mining's Diminished Future, High Country News, Oct. 24, 2028, at 1988 (reprinted in Reopening the Western Frontier 242 (Ed Marston ed., Island Press 1989)).
- Mining Law Reform Reaches a Critical Phase, Colo. Plateau Advoc., Summer, 1991.
- Solving Water Rights Conflicts, J. Am. Water Works Ass'n, Mar., 1991, at 36 (with Les Lampe, Gary R. Clark, Glen H. Fiedler & Duane Georgeson).
- Implications of Arizona Public Service v. Long for Water Management in Arizona, Effluent: Yours, Mine, Ours, Oct., 1989.
- Strategies to Protect Streamflows in Arizona's Dwindling Riparian Area, Ariz. Waterline, Fall, 1986 (reprinted in Ariz. St. U.L.F. (Fall 1986)).
- The Law and the Hydrological Staircase, Ariz. Waterline, Spring, 1986.
- Implications of Federal Water Project Cost–Sharing for Arizona, Ariz. Waterline, Summer, 1985.
- Working in the System, Envtl. Action, 1977. CATALOG
Reports, Working Papers & Training Materials
- Inventive Application: A History, U.C. Hastings College of the Law (February 19, 2014). URL