- Thucydides and the Philosophical Origins of History (Cambridge Univ. Press 2007).
- A New Theory of the State Corporate Income Tax: The State Corporate Income Tax as Retail Sales Tax Complement, 65 Tax L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2012). SSRN
- How Less Can Be More: Using the Federal Income Tax to Stabilize State and Local Finance, 31 Va. Tax Rev. 413 (2012). LX HEIN WL SSRN
- On Tax Increase Limitations: Part IIEvasion and Transcendence, 64 St. Tax Notes 245 (2012) (with David Gamage). LX SSRN
- The Saga of State "Amazon" Laws: Reflections on the Colorado Decision, 64 St. Tax Notes 197 (2012) (with David Gamage). LX SSRN
- The Trouble with Tax Increase Limitations, 5 Alb. Gov't L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2012) (with David Gamage) (invited symposium piece).
- Going Forward by Going Backward to Benefit Taxes, 3 Cal. J. Pol. & Pol'y Art. 14 (Sep. 2011) (peer-reviewed). SSRN BE_PRESS
- On Tax Increase Limitations: Part IA Costly Incoherence, 62 St. Tax Notes 813 (2011) (with David Gamage). LX SSRN
- The Supreme Court and the New Old Public Finance: A New Old Defense of the Court's Recent Dormant Commerce Clause Jurisprudence, 43 Urb. Law. 659 (2011). WL SSRN
- Three Essays on Tax Salience: Market Salience and Political Salience, 65 Tax L. Rev. 19 (2011) (with David Gamage). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Engquist and the Erosion of the Equal Protection Clause: An Attempt to Stop the Creep of Irrational Dicta, 61 Hastings L.J. 969 (2010). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Above All Else Stop Digging: Local Government Law as a (Partial) Cause of (and Solution to) the Current Housing Crisis, 43 U. Mich. J.L. Reform 663 (2010). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Attention Carbon Auditors: There’s Low-Hanging Fruit in the PAB Regs, 127 Tax Notes 693 (2010). SSRN CATALOG
- What Would the Delegates Talk About? A Rough Agenda for a Constitutional Convention, 37 Hastings Const. L.Q. 641 (2010) (invited symposium piece). FULLTEXT LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Clearing Away Roadblocks to Funding California's Infrastructure, 54 St. Tax Notes 567 (2009). LX
- Hegel and the Justification for Arbitration in a Modern State, 1 Y.B. Arb. & Mediation 445 (2009) (peer–reviewed). SSRN CATALOG
- Putting the California Constitution (Back) to Work: A Blueprint for Clearing Legal Roadblocks to Proper Infrastructure Finance, 54 St. Tax Notes 567 (2009). LX SSRN
- Revitalizing Aristotle's Doctrine of Equity, 4 J.L. Culture & Human. 352 (2008) (peer–reviewed). SSRN
Chapters In Books
- Thucydides and Lawfulness, in ThucydidesA Violent Teacher? History and its Representations 199 (Georg Rechenauer & Vassiliki Pothou eds., V&R Unipress 2011). AMAZON URL
- The Case for Reducing the Market Salience of Taxation, in National Tax Association, Proceedings of the 103rd Annual Conference 48 (Nat'l Tax Ass'n 2010) (with David Gamage). CATALOG URL
- How Should We Govern Ourselves at Home?, 6 J.L. Culture & Human. 296 (2010) (reviewing Douglass C. North et al., Violence and Social Orders: A Conceptual Framework for Interpreting Recorded Human History (2009), Josiah Ober, Democracy and Knowledge: Innovation and Learning in Classical Athens (2009), & Gerald E. Frug & David J. Barron, City Bound: How States Stifle Urban Innovation (2008)) (peer-reviewed). SSRN
- What the Original Property Tax Revolutionaries Wanted (It Is Not What You Think), 1 Cal. J. Pol. & Pol'y Art. 18 (2009) (reviewing Isaac W. Martin, The Permanent Tax Revolt: How the Property Tax Transformed American Politics (2008)) (peer-reviewed). SSRN BE_PRESS
- Detienne's Masters of Truth and the 'Truth' about Simonides of Ceos, 8 Critical Sense 131 (Winter 2000) (reviewing Marcel Detienne, Les Maîtres de Vérité dans la Grèce Archaïque (1967)).
Reports, Working Papers & Training Materials
- Does a Fiscal Crisis Affect Your Credit Rating? Not Necessarily, School Services of California Inc. Fiscal Report (May 2003).
- Saving Time and Money: How and When to Use Design–Build, Cal. Ass'n Sch. Bus. Officials J. (Mar./Apr. 2003) (with Cathleen Dominico).
- Credit Check: Charter Schools and Districts Partner in Financing, Cal. Ass'n Sch. Bus. Officials J. (Nov./Dec. 2002) (with Terri Ryland).
- Interest Rates May Be Too Law to Refinance!, School Services of California Inc. Fiscal Report (Nov. 2001) (with Lori Raineri).
- Note, Public Tax Dollars for Private Suburban Development: A First Report on a National Phenomenon, 26 Va. Tax Rev. 709 (2007). LX HEIN WL SSRN
- Note, Four Theses: Preliminary to an Appeal to Equity, 57 Stan. L. Rev. 2053 (2005). LX HEIN WL SSRN
Dissertations & Theses
- Thucydides and the Metaphysical Foundations of History (Fall 2001) (unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Berkeley) (on file with Gardner Library, University of California, Berkeley).
- Nietzsche on Becoming a Self Worth Being (March 1997) (unpublished M.A. thesis, McGill University) (on file with the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, McGill University).